Terre Haute, IN – Friends of Griffin Bike Park is hosting Vigo County Salutes week June 18-June 22 to honor those who have served in the military and their families. Lt. Governor Suzanne Crouch will help kick off the week at a Meet and Greet luncheon on Monday, June 18. Retired Lieutenant General William G. Boykin, who currently serves as the Executive Vice President of the Family Research Council in Washington, will conclude the week with a presentation at the Indiana Theatre regarding his military and life experiences; proceeds will go toward new restroom facilities at Griffin Bike Park. Other events throughout the week include the groundbreaking of “The Warrior Trail,” a new trail for disabled veterans; Camp Navigate Day, open to the public, includes nature and recreation games, mountain biking, a scavenger hunt, food and snacks; and a cookout and activities for veterans, current service members, and military families.
Vigo County Salutes – Schedule of Events:
● June 18th, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Lt. Governor Suzanne Crouch tours Griffin Bike and provides updates on state growth, tourism in Western Central Indiana, followed by lunch.
● June 19th, 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. – “Warrior Trail” Groundbreaking at the lake dock located at the S.E. entrance of Griffin Bike Park. Group bike ride immediately following (open to public).
● June 20th, 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. – Camp Navigate Day (open to public). Nature & Recreation will provide games, mountain biking, scavenger hunt, food and snacks. Kids bikes provided. Call for details: 812-201-4862.
● June 21st, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. – Wabash Valley Base Community Council hosts cookout honoring military members & their families: games, music, kayaking, mountain biking, yoga instruction.
● June 22nd 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. – VIP Luncheon with Retired Lt General William G. Boykin and Former Navy Petty Officer Lonnie Bedwell, National Heroes, Speak on Military and Life Experiences, Indiana Theatre. Call Terre Haute Chamber for Tickets: 812-232-2391.
○ 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. – Evening Session with Lt. General William G. Boykin, General Admission, Indiana Theatre. $10 donation at door.
About Griffin Bike Park: The legacy of Griffin Bike Park celebrates those servicemen and women who have served and those who have lost their lives. The core values of Griffin Bike Park are “freedom, family, friendship, and community.” The park is named for Sergeant Dale R. Griffin who lost his life serving his country on October 27, 2009. The Griffin family was passionate about mountain biking and wanted a place closer to home. With the help of Sergeant Griffin’s family and friends, they were able to bring their dream of mountain biking to Vigo County.
About Lt. General William Boykin: Retired general officer, Boykin served as the United States Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence under President George W. Bush from 2002 to 2007. During his 36-year career in the military, he spent 13 years in the Delta Force and was involved in numerous high-profile missions, including the 1980 Iran hostage rescue attempt, the 1989 mission to apprehend Manuel Noriega, the 1992 hunt for Pabloe Escabar in Colombia, and the Black Hawk Down incident in Mogadishu, Somalia. He is an author and teaches at Hampdent-Sidney College. He is currently executive vice president at the Family Research Council. (photo attached)
About Former Navy Petty Officer Lonnie Bedwell: A former Navy Petty Officer, Lonnie Bedwell was critically injured during 1997 in a hunting accident that instantly took his sight. Nevertheless, he became an extreme sports athlete, kayaking some of the most challenging whitewater in the world. He is best known for his 226-mile descent of the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, making him the first blind man in history to successfully complete the run.
Please Note: Lt. General Boykin is available for interviews prior to his visit to Terre Haute. Gene Griffin can assist in the coordination of these pre-visit interviews.
Media Contact: Gene Griffin, 812-243-6594, Gene@GriffinBikePark.com