21st Century Talent Region
West Central Indiana was designated as the state's seventh 21st Century Talent Region in July 2020. This designation is awarded to communities who are working collaboratively to attract, develop and connect talent. In addition, the designation provides access to resources that are important for every business and community entity throughout the region to access. Please feel free to reference this data for your own strategic planning or reference purposes.
The talent region includes the following counties: Clay, Park, Putnam, Sullivan, Vermillion and Vigo.
The following are key statistics we are tracking that impact our ability to recruit talent to the region.
GOAL ONE: Reverse the trend of population loss for our region, by moving our projected population loss to a negligible number by the year 2025.
Current Regional Porjection by 2050: -6.76%
Regional Goal by 2025: 0%
(People entering/leaving region for work)
- Although most of our population center is in the Terre Haute area, the surrounding counties provide much needed additional people to make our overall region a more relevant sector in the state. Source: https://www.in.gov/cct/datadisplay.htm
Miles to Large Destinations:
The following are statistics relevant to our region's ability to develop our own talent. Many of these are tied directly to education.
GOAL TWO: By 2025 increase the educational attainment rate by 3.4%.
Current Projected: 30.4%
2025 Goal: 34%
The following are statistics that show our ability to connect our talent with employment opportunities within the region.
GOAL THREE: By 2025 increase the per capita personal income to within 85% of the current overall state average.
Current Region (2019): $38,759
Current Indiana (2019): $48,678
Regional Goal by 2025: $41,376
Per Capita Personal Income - Individual County Breakdown:
While our per capita personal lags behind the state average, our region has an opportunity to turn this metric around. The following related metrics show exactly how we need to move this number in the right direction.
Entry Level Wage:
Avg. Hourly Wage:
- This number shows the number of households in our region which are above the ALICE threshold, which is the minimum income level necessary for survival for a household. The state average is 61.29%
Key Economic Clusters
Key Economic Clusters
- Advanced Manufacturing (Plastics/Automotive)
- Construction/Skilled Trades
- Information Technology
- NIMS Certified Machinist
- Certification of Manufacturing 4.0 (Smart Automation Certifications)
- Controlled Environment Agriculture
- K-12 Teachers
- Higher Ed (All Employment)
- Mental Health Professionals
- Nursing: CNA, LPN, RN, APRN
- Building Trades (Skilled Labor)
- Architecture and Engineering