The Terre Haute Chamber of Commerce is excited to partner with the West Central Indiana Small Business Development Center for the 2020 Small Business Saturday and Shop Small initiative. Within this guide business owners/managers will find helpful information, tips and resources.
FAQs about Small Business Saturday and Shop Small
What is Small Business Saturday?
- Small Business Saturday is a day dedicated to supporting small businesses and communities across the country. Founded by American Express in 2010, this day is celebrated each year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Since it started in 2010, consumers have reported spending an estimated $120 billion across all 10 Small Business Saturdays combined.
What is Shop Small?
- Shop Small is a nationwide movement to celebrate small businesses every day and to help communities thrive and stay vibrant.
What resources are available to me as a small business owner?
- As an American Express® Card accepting small merchant, the Shop Small Resources Site is your go-to source for tips and inspiration to help you promote your business year-round. Visit the Special Programs section to access the Shop Small® Studio or explore the Promote Your Business section to learn more about other resources to connect your business to American Express® Card Members.
- If your business is not on the Shop Small Map or Online Directory, follow the detailed instructions on the Shop Small Map FAQs.
Small Business Saturday Opportunities via the Terre Haute Chamber
Each year the Chamber and Downtown Terre Haute partner on Small Business Saturday initiatives locally and nationwide. Again in 2020 the Chamber is proud to have been chosen by the Shop Small organization as a “Neighborhood Partner”. This designation affords the Chamber to push out both virtual and physical tools to Chamber and Downtown Terre Haute members. Learn more below about the 2020 offerings.
- Small Business Saturday digital marketing tools (social media graphics, tip sheets and more) provided by American Express.
- As a “Neighborhood Champion” the Chamber will receive physical marketing tools, swags bags and other items to be used by members during thwe holiday shopping season.
- Through social media, our website and weekly newsletter participating businesses can advertise deals, sales and hours.
- Want more information or have questions? Contact Katie Shane, email@example.com
Small Biz Saturday Video with the Chamber and ISBDC
Small Business Saturday Advertising Opportunity with the ISBDC
Before you do anything we need to hear from you! The West Central Indiana Small Business Development Center is again offering to advertise and promote your special deals that you will have for Small Business Saturday on November 28. The website will have an online directory with local businesses from the West Central region that have either in store, online, or both promotions to offer customers. To submit your deals that you will offer that day, please visit the website at www.wcshopsmall.com and scroll to find the “List your Shop Small Saturday Deal Here!”. We are offering to design your advertisement, if you do not have one created already, for you at no cost! If you have any questions, you can call our office at 812-237-7676 or email Megan Moats at MMoats@isbdc.org.
Tips from the ISBDC on creating Shop Small Deals That Really Work!
Try to not discount yourself. Because of big box stores consumers don’t see a deal until it is 50% or more off, we want you to make money off your deal, not lose it! If you want to offer a discount, make it a specific dollar amount off not percent (it’s just psychological).
When you offer a discount sometimes people think if they wait it will be a deeper discount later. Try offering something they can only get that day (product or service). This will add more urgency to shopping with you that day.
Consumers like to feel good about their purchase. Try offering a deal where their purchase comes with either a gift for a friend or even a gift donated on their behalf to a local nonprofit.
With Covid-19 we don’t know yet what the shopping day will look like. We recommend having online ordering or curbside pickup clearly stated. If you don’t currently have these options let us know and we will be happy to see if we can help you set them up.
Additional Marketing Ideas and Tools
More Resources from Shop Small and American Express